Updated COVID Restrictions – May, 2021
In-class training update
Health and safety is our priority. Following the unprecedented time of closures and physical distancing measures to combat the COVID-19 pandemic during 2021, St. John Ambulance is continuing to offer in-class training for registered students following COVID-19 safety guidelines and public health directives.
Our facilities are not open to the general public. All customers entering must be registered in a course and/or have an appointment. Curbside pick-up is available at each SJA Centre for customers picking up orders.
We have implemented several modifications in our training facilities including increased cleaning protocols, reduced class sizes, physical distancing measures, mandatory wearing of face coverings, and individual student workstations with required training equipment for each student. We are following current directives from Public Health authorities and Occupational Health & Safety and make required changes as needed.
St. John Ambulance is committed to ensuring a safe training and working environment at all times. Changes have been made to business operations and training to help ensure that all physical distancing and health and safety requirements are being upheld.
For First Aid/CPR certification, we strongly recommend customers consider taking the online blended certification course available through our learning management system at: ab.stjohntraining.ca. This will reduce the amount of time learners will need to attend the in-class portion of the courses. The theoretical components are completed online.
Facility Operational Changes:
1. Class sizes and building occupancy follow current directives.
2. Common areas will be closed until further notice.
3. Movement within each facility is controlled and well marked to ensure physical distancing requirements are met.
4. Increased facility cleaning of frequent contact areas; washrooms will be cleaned multiple times throughout the day. As part of our contracted building janitorial services, all contact points will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected daily.
5. Classrooms are reconfigured to accommodate the maximum student limit while maintaining physical distancing requirements. Each student will be allocated their own individual workstation space stations. The workstation consists of a table, chair, mat, gloves and required training equipment/supplies.
6. Students will be assigned an equipment set including a manikin for their sole use during the class. Manikins and additional equipment ratios will be 1:1 with no exceptions.
7. In-class textbook libraries will not be available until further notice. Students will be required to download the digital copy or purchase their own printed copy.
8. For companies requesting private course at their training location, the same standards and protocols will apply. Classroom space and group size will be critical. At all times the physical distancing requirements MUST be achieved. Hand sanitizer and hand wash locations must be provided by the location. Cleaning products for manikins/materials will be sent with the instructor.
1. Students will not be permitted to attend classes if they are experiencing any signs or symptoms of illness. Should a student become ill while attending a class, they will be required to leave immediately and re-book.
2. It is mandatory to wear a face mask / face covering in all public access areas of SJA facilities within the province of Alberta. This applies to students, staff, volunteers, and visitors.
3. Students will be reminded of respiratory etiquette and proper hand hygiene.
4. Individual students will be assigned workstations with the required supplies that will not be shared with other students during the class.
5. Students will be asked to sanitize their workstation including manikins, floor mats and additional equipment before and after use (workstations and equipment will be cleaned after class by staff, but this extra step to have students clean before they use it is for reassurance). This includes any of their personal items such as cellular phones, tablets, etc.
6. All participants MUST perform proper hand hygiene frequently throughout the day.
7. All participants will be required to maintain physical distancing at all times. Anyone disregarding this requirement will be asked to leave the facility.
1. The practical skill components for the First Aid/CPR courses have been modified. Students will be completing all skill exercises either on themselves or on a provided manikin.
2. Where practical skill requirements have been reduced, additional videos, lectures, or class discussions are required to ensure students have comprehended the skills required.
3. Instructors will only demonstrate skills on themselves or manikins.
4. Instructors will supervise practical skills from a central location in the room and will maintain physical distance requirements.
5. The instructor is responsible to ensure that the physical distancing is being maintained in the classroom.
6. Disposable face shields/barrier devices must be used for all rescue breathing practical exercises.
7. Instructors will wear gloves anytime they are distributing or collecting paperwork or supplies from students and SJA staff.
8. Instructors will remind students of proper hand hygiene, physical distancing requirements, and respiratory etiquette.
9. If any students are uncomfortable with the classroom layout, session plan, or any other aspect of training, they may leave the class and request a transfer to a class scheduled for a later date. The transfer fee will be waived.